- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch fine salt
- 2 slices vegan sandwich bread, preferably sourdough or wheat
- 3 Tbsp. store-bought or homemade plain hummus
- 1 and ½ tsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric
- ⅛ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ roasted red pepper, intact if possible (or use jarred slices)
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and salt. Place the bread slices on a clean work surface. Brush one side of each slice of bread with half of the olive oil. Flip the bread over so the un-oiled side is face up.
- Combine the hummus, nutritional yeast, turmeric, and paprika in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Spread half of the hummus over each slice of bread. Lay the roasted red pepper over the surface of one slice of bread (if you are using smaller pieces or sliced roasted red peppers, arrange them in a single even layer to cover the hummus). Sandwich the two halves together so the red pepper is in between the two layers of hummus.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat until warm.
- Place the sandwich in the pan and cook until golden brown on one side, about 2-3 minutes. Flip the sandwich and cook until the other side is golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cut sandwich on the diagonal, and serve immediately.