Throw this easy White Slow Cooker Queso together in 5 minutes flat! Yeah, you’re totally going to be the life of the party.
When queso’s on the menu you know there’s going to be a fiesta. Melty pools of ooey, gooey cheese, swirled with flecks of chilies and spice – count us in! Where’s the sombrero?
There are thousands of queso recipes out there. Today we’re doing a tribute to the classic white version, but giving ourselves a little more time to relax before the guests arrive by making it in the slow cooker. What could be better than that?
We’ll be using a blend of white cheeses to develop several layers of flavor and to make sure we have that delightful melted cheese dripping off the side of your crunchy little chip. American cheese is used for the salty, classic cheese flavor, cream cheese for the velvety smooth texture, and the addition of mozzarella adds a serious string factor.
Lime zest and cilantro give your queso that brightness that it SO desires, and of course we have to add some smoky heat with chili powder. Pop that cheese out of the wrapper, lock your slow cooker into place, and drop the melty goodness down on in.Print
- 16 oz. white American deli cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. mozzarella
- 8 oz. canned green chilies
- 1 and ½ cups half & half
- Zest of 1 lime
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1–2 Tbsp. fresh, chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Unwrap each block or ball of cheese and place into your slow cooker. Next, add the cans of green chilies, following that with the half and half. Zest your lime into the slow cooker. Finish by adding the garlic and chili powder.
- Set your slow cooker on low, checking back every 20 minutes or so to stir until the cheeses have melted and combined. After 2 hours, your cheese will be fully melted. You can serve directly out of the slow cooker, or transfer into a bowl. Make sure to top with cilantro and a smile, and scoop up with your favorite chip.