- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut in half
- 1/2 small sweet onion, cut in half
- 1 (15 oz.) can low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Place pepper and onion in food processor and blend until finely chopped. Squeeze out excess moisture using paper towels, cheesecloth or mesh strainer.
- Mash black beans in large bowl. Add pepper/onion mixture, egg, breadcrumbs, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Divide into 4 patties.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook 6-8 minutes on each side.
- Top buns with burgers, tomato and avocado.
This recipe is courtesy of Produce for Kids.