- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. garlic powder, divided
- 1 cup water
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 (24 oz.) jar tomato sauce
- 6 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté on low. Add the olive oil and heat.
- Add the panko bread crumbs, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and ½ teaspoon of the garlic powder. Cook, stirring continuously until slightly darkened, 2-3 minutes. Transfer crumbs to a plate and set aside. Wipe out the Instant Pot so that no crumbs remain.
- Pour the water into the Instant Pot. Set trivet or steamer basket over water.
- Arrange thighs in a single layer on the trivet. Season with Italian seasoning, remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, remaining ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, and the pepper.
- Set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes, making sure the valve is in Sealing position.
- After the 10 minutes of pressure cooking, do a natural release for 5 minutes. Then turn the valve to Venting and allow remaining steam to escape.
- Remove lid from Instant Pot. Remove chicken and trivet from Instant Pot. Drain out any water and discard.
- Return chicken to the Instant Pot. Pour the tomato sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté. Put lid in place. Cook until tomato sauce is hot and cheese is melted, 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer chicken with sauce and cheese to serving plate. Sprinkle with toasted panko crumbs.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!