1 cup of lentils, such as brown, green, or black (see note)
3 cups of water, vegetable broth, or chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, peeled
¾ tsp. kosher salt
- Rinse the lentils and examine them to make sure there are no pebbles or other debris.
- Place the lentils in the inner pot of your Instant Pot. Cover with water or broth. Add the bay leaf, garlic clove, and salt.
- Close the lid and make sure that the pressure release valve is closed. Select the Pressure Cook or Manual function and set the cooking time to 9 minutes at high pressure.
- When the cooking program is finished, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Then, release the remaining pressure manually and remove the lid. If desired, drain the lentils in a colander to remove excess liquid.
- The lentils may now be incorporated into other dishes or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until needed. You can also freeze cooked lentils for long-term storage.
Note: If cooking red lentils in the Instant Pot, the cooking time is only 5 minutes.