- 1 and ½ lbs. red potatoes, in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream, plus more before serving
- 1 cup mayonnaise, plus more before serving
- 1 and ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Put the potatoes in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and just enough water to cover them. Stir.
- Cook over high heat until it reaches a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until fork tender, 7-9 minutes.
- Drain and then rinse the potatoes. Put the potatoes back into the pot with lots of cold water, stir, drain, and then repeat a few times so that they cool down quickly.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a large bowl combine the scallions, bacon, ½ teaspoon of salt, black pepper, sour cream, and mayonnaise.
- Add the potatoes to the sour cream mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Cover and chill. Once completely cooled, add the cheddar cheese and stir. Cover and refrigerate until time to serve.
- Before serving, stir and then taste. It is possible that the potatoes will have soaked up some of the dressing and that it is now less creamy and moist than it was before. If this has happened, add an additional 2 tablespoons each of sour cream and mayonnaise. Stir and taste. Repeat if needed.