- 1/2 lb. Velveeta
- 2 cups (8 oz.) elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Take the Velveeta out of the fridge. Cut it into small cubes. Leave it at room temperature while the pasta cooks.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions, but right before draining it, remove 1 cup of the cooking water from the pot. Set that water aside and then drain the rest of the water off of the pasta. Return the pasta to the pot it was cooked in.
- Immediately add the butter to the pasta and stir.*
- Add the Velveeta and stir for 30 seconds to start it melting. Drizzle in about 2 tablespoons of the pasta water and stir.
- Keep stirring until the Velveeta is fully melted, 1-2 minutes, adding a tiny bit more pasta water if needed to help it melt and to form a smooth sauce.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
*If you’d like to add additional seasonings to your mac ‘n cheese, this is where you’d stir them in. Choose 1-2 of the following: 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp. mustard powder, 1/4 tsp. paprika, 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp. chili powder, a pinch of cayenne.