- 4 medium Russet potatoes
- Toppings of your choice (chili, tuna salad, bacon and cheddar cheese, etc), for serving
- Heat your oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the potatoes well then pat them dry.
- Using a sharp knife, cut an X across the top of each potato by making a ¼-inch deep incision from one end of the potato to the other lengthwise, then making a second cut across the center of the potato.
- Place the potatoes on the top rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the potato skins are very crispy and the insides are soft. .
- Remove the potatoes and very carefully pop the potato open by cutting into the cross again to reopen it, then pushing the opposite ends of the potato toward each other (wear oven mitts to protect your hands when handling the hot potatoes).
- Return the potatoes to the oven and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Fill with your favorite toppings.