- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1/4 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 6 oz. gruyere cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 and 1/4 lb. steamed lobster, cut into large chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- Heat your oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan set over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook until smooth and light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Stir in the shallot, ground mustard and nutmeg.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes, or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Stir in the cheese until melted and smooth.
- Return the pasta to the large pot. Pour in in the cheese sauce and mix well. Stir in the lobster.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into a 2-quart baking dish or 6 oven-safe soup cups.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan. Stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Spread the breadcrumb mixture over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!