Lobster Mac and Cheese is an impressive restaurant staple, but it’s surprisingly easy to make at home. If you’re looking to make a lasting impression on whoever you’re cooking for, you definitely need to try this recipe. Although, Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese is sure to impress them too since you can make it ahead of time and have dinner on the table in no time.
To start, you’ll make a rich cheese sauce with sharp cheddar and gruyere cheese. Gruyere is a great melting cheese – it’s traditionally used for fondue – and its nutty flavor pairs wonderfully with buttery lobster.
You can take a shotcut and use frozen lobster meat for this macaroni and cheese, but fresh is better if you have access to it. If you’re not into steaming your own lobster, many grocery stores will steam one for you while you wait.Print
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ shallot, minced
- ¼ tsp. ground mustard
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 6 oz. gruyere cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 and ¼ lb. steamed lobster, cut into large chunks (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- Heat your oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan set over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook until smooth and light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Stir in the shallot, ground mustard and nutmeg.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes, or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Stir in the cheese until melted and smooth.
- Return the pasta to the large pot.
- Pour in in the cheese sauce and mix well.
- Stir in the lobster.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into a 2-quart baking dish or 6 oven-safe soup cups.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Spread the breadcrumb mixture over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.