Do you love indulging in Lobster Mac and Cheese when you go to a nice restaurant? There’s no need to wait for a night out when you can make it just as amazing at home! If you’re looking to make a lasting impression on whoever you’re cooking for, you definitely need to try this fancy comfort food recipe.
Scroll down to read more about how it all comes together or click here to jump straight down to the recipe.
What Kind Of Lobster Do I Use?
For this lobster mac and cheese recipe, you want about 1 and 1/4 pounds of lobster meat. I think freshly steamed lobster tails are the best choice and you’d need 2 – 3 of them.
You can take a shortcut and use frozen lobster meat for this macaroni and cheese, but fresh is better if you have access to it. If you’re not into steaming your own lobster, many grocery stores will steam one for you while you wait.
How To Make Lobster Macaroni And Cheese
To start, get your oven preheating and your water for the pasta boiling. Then, you’ll make a rich cheese sauce with sharp Cheddar and Gruyere cheese. Gruyere is a great melting cheese – it’s traditionally used for fondue – and its nutty flavor pairs wonderfully with buttery lobster.
To make the cheese sauce, you’ll start by making a roux of butter and flour. Then you’ll add milk, minced shallot, ground mustard, and nutmeg. Let that simmer until it starts to thicken, around 5 to 10 minutes.
Next, add in all that delicious cheese. You’ll want to stir it until it’s mixed in and smooth. Mix your cooked macaroni noodles with the amazing cheese sauce and then stir in the cooked and chopped lobster.
All of that gets put in a baking dish, then sprinkle with buttery breadcrumbs. Put the lobster mac and cheese into the oven and bake uncovered until the cheese is bubbling and the crumb topping is browned. It’s sooo good!
More Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
- Velveeta Mac n Cheese
- The Creamiest Mac n’ Cheese!
- No-Boil Mac and Cheese Bake
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Easy Taco Macaroni and Cheese
Podcast Episode About Making Lobster Mac And Cheese
Listen to our editor, Christine Pittman, explain briefly how to make this mac n cheese, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:Print
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1/4 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 6 oz. gruyere cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 and 1/4 lb. steamed lobster, cut into large chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- Heat your oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan set over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook until smooth and light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Stir in the shallot, ground mustard and nutmeg.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes, or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Stir in the cheese until melted and smooth.
- Return the pasta to the large pot. Pour in in the cheese sauce and mix well. Stir in the lobster.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into a 2-quart baking dish or 6 oven-safe soup cups.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan. Stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Spread the breadcrumb mixture over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
This post originally appeared in August 2019 and was revised and republished in May 2023.