The most comforting homemade macaroni and cheese recipe, using heavy cream and cream cheese to make the creamiest version you have ever tried!
There’s just something about a big, creamy pot of mac and cheese that makes everything seem right with the world.
But what does it take to make the creamiest bowl of cheesy macaroni? A couple things: using heavy whipping cream in place of milk and adding in a bit of cream cheese.
Here’s A Video Showing How To Make Creamiest Mac And Cheese:
What Kind Of Cheese Should I Use?
Sharp cheddar cheese is the best way to go for cheese, and I also like to add just a tad of another cheese for a balance of flavors. Mozzarella is a good basic one, and Parmesan is another option to add a bit of a nutty flavor. Just a little goes a long way.
This recipe is super simple to whip up on the stove and then it’s ready to go. No need to cook it casserole-style in the oven – that would add a crunchy layer on top and take away from the creamy style.
If you find this pasta ends up being TOO creamy (is that a thing?!) then you can always add a little bit of regular milk or water to thin the cheese out a little bit.Print
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 and ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- In a large pot, cook macaroni according to package instructions and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add the heavy cream while whisking continuously to prevent lumps. Stir for a couple more minutes, until thickened.
- Add cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, salt, and pepper to cream mixture and whisk until melted.
- Pour cheese mixture over the drained pasta and mix until evenly coated. Taste and stir in more salt and pepper, if desired.