- 8 oz. button mushrooms
- 1 cup mild-tasting olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- If mushrooms are small, leave them whole. Halve medium mushrooms and quarter larger ones. Set aside.
- Measure oil into a medium-sized saucepan set over low heat.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Allow to steep over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms. Stir. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in ½ teaspoon of salt and the lemon juice. Taste. The flavor won’t be fully developed but if you want to add more salt, now is a good time. I add about another ¼ teaspoon of salt here.
- Transfer to a large mason jar. Attach lid. Refrigerate.
- They are best served after 3-4 days in the fridge and keep for up to 7 days in the fridge. If the oil has congealed, put the jar (without any metal) into the microwave uncovered for 30 seconds then stir. Do another 30 seconds if needed.
- To serve, set a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl. Pour the mushrooms into the sieve and let them drain for a few minutes.* Transfer mushrooms to a small serving bowl or use in a recipe.
The excess oil has a delicious flavor. Store it in the refrigerator and use it within one week.