We’re mixing up two favorite dishes into one fantastic bowl of flavor. If you’re a fan of Buffalo Chicken Dip, this Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is sure to be a favorite meal.
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is a delicious mash-up of two favorite comfort foods. This cheesy macaroni and cheese gets chicken wing flavor from diced chicken, zippy buffalo sauce and a sprinkle of blue cheese. It’s comfort food with bold flavor.
While much of the recipe is based off the Best Stovetop Mac and Cheese, we stray a bit with the cheeses. We use a blend of:
- Cream cheese: to emulate the flavors and textures found in a buffalo chicken dip and to ensure that there is enough creamy, cheesy flavor, even with the addition of extra ingredients.
- Sharp cheddar: for maximum flavor and great meltability. It’s not mac and cheese without some cheddar.
- Mozzarella cheese: because we really wanted this to feel like buffalo chicken dip with pasta, mozzarella cheese works well to give it some extra creamy melt and not too many overpowering flavors.
If you love buffalo sauce, feel free to add some more directly into the cheese sauce or drizzle extra buffalo sauce over the top of your mac and cheese. The amount in the recipe makes a mild version in terms of buffalo flavor and spice levels.Print
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken (about 16 oz. chicken thighs)
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni noodles
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 3 oz. room temperature cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce + more for serving
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 oz. blue cheese crumbles
- Green onions, optional garnish
- Cook macaroni noodles to al dente, according to package instructions.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- To the pasta pot, add half and half, cream cheese, garlic powder, salt and mustard powder. Whisk together and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in buffalo sauce and cheese and once it starts to melt a bit, add pasta. Stir until cheese has completed melted.
- Serve immediately with chopped chicken and crumbled blue cheese on top and additional buffalo sauce to taste. Garnish with green onions if desired.