In my opinion, food tastes 1000x better when it’s served on a stick. And these Vidalia, sausage and apple kebabs live up to the expectation. This series is sponsored by the Vidalia Onion Committee. Vidalia Onions are available from late April through early September in grocery stores across the country. The season is short and sweet just like the delicious onions themselves, so make sure you look for them in your local retailer and learn more at www.vidaliaonion.org.
Stick it on a stick and it tastes better. Proof: Cake pops, caramel apples, even corn dogs. It’s portable which makes it the perfect thing to eat at a party, no need to juggle a plate in one hand and a glass of beer in the other. These sausage, Vidalia onion and apple kebabs are definite party food.
You first start off making a quick sauce of grainy mustard, honey, lemon juice and salt.
Then cut the Vidalia onions into wedges. Separate into layers so you can thread them onto the skewers more easily. Add on your sausage and apples and pour on your mustard sauce.
Vidalia onions taste great on the grill, especially with the addition of the robust mustard sauce. You’ll be licking it off your fingers!
Pop the skewers on the grill and wait for the stampede of happy party-goers. It’s dinner time!Print
- 1/3 cup grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 8 – 6″ skewers
- 12 oz. fully-cooked sweet apple and chicken sausages, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 sweet apples, cut into 8 wedges each
- Preheat grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
- In a small bowl combine the mustard, honey, lemon juice and salt.
- Divide the layers of each onion wedge so that you have two pieces.
- Onto a skewer thread a piece of sausage, then an apple wedge, then an onion piece. Repeat pattern. Put loaded skewer into a pan. Repeat with remaining skewers and ingredients.
- Pour mustard sauce over skewers.
- Put skewers on grill. Grill on one side until undersides of sausages are blackened in spots and apples have some grill marks, 3-5 minutes. Flip and grill until undersides are browned as well, another 3-5 minutes.