This Grilled Cheese Burrito came onto the scene from Taco Bell this summer and is so delicious. It’s got all the flavors you love in a burrito and extra melty cheese that will remind you of a grilled cheese sandwich.
So what is a grilled cheese burrito?
A grilled cheese burrito is the best of both worlds! It’s the perfect balance of two things just about everyone loves so it’ll be a surefire favorite. It’s not technically just a grilled cheese sandwich since it has beef and queso in it nor is it just a burrito since it has extra cheese melted on top.
Since it’s called a grilled cheese burrito (and tastes amazing!), we had to make it for our grilled cheese series!
The grilled cheese burrito has all of your favorite things in it from Taco Bell. It’s got layers of seasoned ground beef, seasoned rice, queso, shredded cheese, chipotle sauce, sour cream, and crispy red tortilla strips.
It’s also great and versatile to be able to add more or less of what you like in a burrito. This works especially well for kids if they don’t want the spicy sauce or aren’t a fan of a specific ingredient.
Where can I get the chipotle sauce?
While you can always save the packets from a Taco Bell trip, that seems like a lot of extra hassle and those packets are so small. The chipotle sauce is a Taco Bell classic and if you can’t find it in your local grocery store it’s available online here.
If you want to make your own, combine some mayonnaise, sour cream, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and either some chipotle sauce from a can of adobo or chipotle chili powder. And there you have your own homemade creamy chipotle sauce.
What size tortilla should you use?
The taco-sized flour tortillas work really well to be able to roll them up and keep closed without having too much tortilla in each bite.
Corn tortillas aren’t ideal here since you’re looking for a sealed edge which flour tortillas do really well. Plus, they don’t crack as easily as corn tortillas.
How do you melt the cheese on top?
To melt the cheese on top, you’ll put the filled and wrapped tortilla folded-side down onto an oven safe skillet or cookie sheet.
Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and place on an oven rack with the broiler preheated to high. It’ll only take a minute or two so keep an eye on it.Print
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 (1 oz.) packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup seasoned or yellow rice, prepared according to the package
- 1 cup shredded cheese, plus more to top
- 1 cup queso
- 1/4 cup chipotle sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- Crisp red tortilla strips
- 8 tortillas
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add ground beef and cook through until no longer pink while also breaking up and stirring, 6-7 minutes. Drain any excess fat.
- Pour in the water and taco seasoning and stir to combine. Let simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Lay out tortillas and layer seasoned ground beef, cooked seasoned or yellow rice, queso, shredded cheese, chipotle sauce, sour cream, and red tortilla strips on each.
- Preheat broiler. Roll the tortillas so that the edges overlap and place with the fold side down into an oven safe skillet. Sprinkle more shredded cheese on top. Place in the oven under the broiler so the cheese melts, 1-2 minutes. Remove and serve warm.