Lickety Split Chicken and Cheese Stuffed Peppers
It’s crazy how quickly these stuffed peppers come together. you’ll have them in the oven within minutes. While they cook, you won’t even have time for an episode of Veep. In fact, we bet you’ll be finished eating before the show is over.
These stuffed peppers are quick to make because the filling isn’t cooked before the peppers are stuffed. You mix up the raw chicken and the cheese, scoop it into bell pepper halves and then bake. The filling will cook through in the time it takes the peppers to soften.
Bonus! These peppers are stable and not sloppy so you can eat them with your hands. They work as party food just as well as they do for a quick weeknight dinner.
Stuffed Peppers with Chicken and Cheese
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 22 Minutes
Total Time: 32 Minutes
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ¾ lb chicken breast cutlets, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves (1 tsp. dried leaves)
- 2 tsp. all-purpose white flour
- 4 red bell peppers, halved from stem to base and de-seeded
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a small bowl combine the panko, garlic powder, ⅛ teaspoon of salt, ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and ⅓ cup of the shredded cheese. Use your fingers to rub the crumbs and cheese together until the bits of cheese are about the size of the larger crumbs. Set aside.
- In a second bowl combine the chicken, thyme, ¼ teaspoon of salt the remaining ⅔ cup cheese and the flour.
- Brush the outsides of the peppers lightly with olive oil (about 1 tablespoon will be enough for them all) and sprinkle lightly with salt. Arrange them on a baking sheet cup-side-up. Fill each half of pepper with approximately ¼ cup of the chicken filling and then top each with about 1 tablespoon of the crumbs.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the crumbs on top are golden brown, 22-25 minutes.