Hold up! There’s no way you can make Honey Bourbon Chicken like at the mall food court at home, is there? You bet! Thanks to the Instant Pot. Done.
If you’ve ever walked through a mall food court, you’re probably familiar with the sticky-sweet dish that’s Honey Bourbon Chicken.
It’s a Cajun spin on Chinese chicken and it’s totally addictive. Well, now we’re adding it to this awesome list of Chicken Instant Pot recipes you just have to try.
Is There Actually Bourbon In Bourbon Chicken?
The recipe gets its name from where it was originally created – Bourbon Street in New Orleans. If you ask two people if Bourbon Chicken actually contains bourbon, you’ll likely get two different answers. Since I subscribe to the motto “more is more”, I usually include it, but this recipe is just as delicious without without alcohol.
Some people also use vanilla as a substitution – the deep musky flavor goes surprisingly well in savory recipes.
How To Make Instant Pot Honey Bourbon Chicken
Honey Bourbon Chicken is incredibly easy to make at home – especially with an Instant Pot (like this one). Cooking Bourbon Chicken under pressure infuses every single bite with sweet barbecue-like glaze made from soy sauce, ketchup, and honey. You don’t even need to marinate the chicken ahead of time.
Just season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, then add that to the Instant Pot along with the glaze ingredients. Pressure cook for 10 minutes and allow a natural release for 5 minutes.
After the pressure is released, you can open it up and switch it to sauté. Pour in your cornstarch mixture and give it a good stir. Simmer until the glaze thickens, about 5 minutes. Then it’s ready to enjoy!
I like to serve mine over rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. You could also toss in some cooked broccoli or other veggies right before serving so they get coated in that tasty sauce too. Yum!Print
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, minced
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. bourbon (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken along with the onion, soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and bourbon to your Instant Pot and stir.
- Close the lid and set the vent to sealing. Set for high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the cycle is completed, allow pressure to naturally release the pressure for 5 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure by switching the valve to venting.
- Once the pressure is fully released, remove the lid and set the pot to the sauté function. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into pot.
- Simmer the bourbon chicken until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Top with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve with white rice.
This post originally appeared in September 2018 and was revised and republished in May 2022.