Hold up! There’s no way you can make Honey Bourbon Chicken like at the mall food court at home, is there? You bet! Thanks to the Instant Pot. Done.
If you’ve ever walked through a mall food court, you’re probably familiar with the sticky-sweet dish that’s Honey Bourbon Chicken. It’s a Cajun spin on Chinese chicken and it’s totally addictive. Well, now we’re adding it to this awesome list of Chicken Instant Pot recipes you just have to try.
The recipe gets its name from where it was originally created – Bourbon Street in New Orleans. If you ask two people if Bourbon Chicken actually contains bourbon, you’ll likely get two different answers. Since I subscribe to the motto “more is more”, I usually include it, but this recipe is just as delicious without it.
Some people also swap it out for vanilla – the deep musky flavor goes surprisingly well in savory recipes.
Honey Bourbon Chicken is incredibly easy to make at home – especially with an Instant Pot (like this one). Cooking Bourbon Chicken under pressure infuses every single bite with sweet barbecue-like glaze made from soy sauce, ketchup and honey. You don’t even need to marinate the chicken ahead of time.Print
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. bourbon (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- White rice, for serving
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken, onion, soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and bourbon to your Instant Pot. Close the lid and set the vent to sealing. Set for high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the cycle is completed, allow pressure to naturally release the pressure for 5 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure by switching the valve to venting.
- Once the pressure is fully released, remove the lid and set the pot to the sauté function. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into pot.
- Simmer the bourbon chicken until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Top with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve with white rice.