Truism: The best gifts are homemade. This Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Mix proves it.
Earlier I told you about making spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate Powder as a gift to take to a friend over the holidays. That got me thinking about other easy flavored hot cocoas that you could put into jars and then place into your friend’s hands.
Candy cane hot chocolate was my favorite idea in the end because I love how the bits of candy cane look through the glass of the jar. It’s really easy to make too. You mix together your usual hot chocolate powder suspects (or even scoop some store-bought hot chocolate mix! I promise not to tell anyone!) and then add some broken up candy canes. Done!
When you pour hot milk or hot water over the chocolate mix, the candy melts and adds peppermint flavor to the whole chocolatey drink. I dare you to make a batch for a friend and not sneak some out for yourself.Print
- 1 cup hot chocolate powder (homemade or something like Quick)
- a small jar
- 3 ounces of peppermint candy (that’s about 6 regular-sized candy canes)
- a large heavy duty plastic zipper bag (like ziplock)
- a gift tag
- a ribbon
- Measure the hot chocolate powder into a small jar. Set aside.
- Put the peppermint candies into a large ziplock bag. Seal the bag. Smash the candy through the bag using a rolling pin or a heavy bottomed skillet. Keep smashing until a lot of the candy is powder but there are still some bigger pieces with the identifiable red and white swirl (these are just so that the powder in the jar looks pretty. Don’t worry – they will dissolve in hot liquid rapidly enough as long as there aren’t too many big pieces).
- Pour the crushed candy into the jar. Put the lid on the jar and shake it once or twice.
- Write out your gift tag and string it onto the ribbon. Tie the ribbon around the jar.
This post originally appeared in December, 2015 and was revised and republished in January, 2020.