Vegan Chicken Wings aren’t actually meaty chicken wings, but make a delicious dish for anyone who is vegan or who wants a meatless dinner.
Of course, if you’re vegan you don’t eat chicken wings, but this is a great alternative option to chicken wings if you don’t eat meat or know someone who is vegan or vegetarian.
What are vegan chicken wings made of?
There are many versions of vegan chicken wings. One of them is seitan made with vital wheat gluten. Other versions of vegan chicken wings are tofu, a combination of seitan and tofu, or are made with cauliflower, such as this recipe for Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower.
However, remember these aren’t actual chicken wings. They’re cauliflower bites in buffalo sauce. For this vegan chicken wing recipe we’ll be using homemade seitan.
What is seitan?
To make our vegan chicken wings, we need to make seitan, which has a similar texture and taste to meat. Seitan has a very mild flavor but if we add seasonings it will absorb all those flavors. Our seitan is made with vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, and seasonings like sweet paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt.
If you can’t find some of these ingredients in your local grocery store, you can usually find them at a natural food store or on Amazon at the links below:
How do you make them look like chicken wings?
After you mix all the dry ingredients together, add the vegetable broth and soy sauce. Knead the dough for few minutes until it becomes a firm dough.
Next, take a piece of the dough and roll it in your hands to form a small chicken wing. Make each piece about half the size you want it to end up since the seitan will double in size while cooking. You’ll have approximately 25-30 small chicken wings.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place each chicken wing in a deep baking pan and cover with 2 cups of vegetable broth. Cook for 1 hour. After 30 minutes of cooking, flip each wing.
Once the wings are done cooking, remove them from the pan. Heat a frying pan with oil, add the wings, and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side to crisp them up. Once they get a little crunchy, they are done.
What sauce should you use?
Vegan chicken wings taste the best with buffalo sauce. While buffalo sauce is usually made with hot sauce and butter, our Fancier Buffalo Wing Sauce has oil instead of butter, so it is vegan and perfect for these wings. You can also use homemade or store-bought barbecue sauce or garlic sauce.
What should you serve with vegan chicken wings?
Carrot and celery sticks will compliment vegan chicken wings nicely, but you can also add dips like sour cream, ranch dressing, creamy Caesar dressing or any other sauces you like. Just check the ingredients and confirm they’re vegan first.Print
- 1 and ½ cups vital wheat gluten
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- In a large bowl mix vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, sweet paprika, and salt.
- Add 1 cup of the vegetable broth and soy sauce and knead the dough until rubbery and firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a deep 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Take a small piece of the dough and roll it in your hands into the shape of a chicken wing. Place in the baking pan and continue shaping “chicken wings” until all dough is gone. You should have 25-30 “wings.”
- Cover wings with remaining 2 cups of vegetable broth. Bake for 30 minutes, flip, and bake another 30 minutes.
- Remove vegan chicken wings from the pan.
- Preheat frying pan, add oil and heat then add wings.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes on low-medium heat on each side to get them crispy.
- Toss with your favorite vegan sauce.