Get all the tips and tricks for making perfect whipped cream every time.
I’ll admit that I actually don’t worry too much about whipped cream. I just pour heavy cream into my stand-mixer bowl, attach the whisk and let it go. But there was that one time that I let it go for too long and ended up with butter. I’ve been a bit more careful about it since then. There are other things you can do to perfect your whipped cream as well.
Tips for Perfect Whipped Cream
- Start with a cold bowl. Put it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so before you start.
- As mentioned, don’t walk away. You don’t want to end up with butter.
- Stop the mixing regularly and check to see if soft peaks are forming. You don’t want them stiff. Light and fluffy.
- Add a bit of sugar — confectioners sugar (some people call it powdered sugar or icing sugar). Measure your liquid whipping cream before you start. Beat it until it starts to thicken then add 1-3 tablespoons of powdered sugar per cup of liquid cream. It really depends on how sweet you want it.
- Store your whipped cream in a covered bowl in the fridge for up to a few hours. After that, it can separate and get liquidy. It’s still fine. Drain off the liquid and you’re good to go.
OK, you’ve got the basics down. How can you make it into the perfect whipped cream for pumpkin pie?
- Follow the basic rule for making whipped cream – 1-3 tablespoons of sugar per cup of liquid whipping cream.
- Or, skip the sugar and add maple syrup.
- Swap out powdered sugar for brown sugar to add a caramel flavor.
- Or, get that caramel flavor with some caramel syrup in place of other sweeteners.
- For vanilla whipped cream, add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla per cup of liquid cream when you add your sweetener.
- For cinnamon whipped cream, add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon with the sugar and vanilla.
- For bourbon whipped cream, use 1 teaspoon of bourbon instead of vanilla.
Now, want to add the proverbial cherry to the top? Finish your pumpkin pie with your homemade whipped cream and some chopped pralines. Ooooo or sweet and spicy nuts.
Your guests are gonna be so impressed with the simple tricks that make this Classic Pumpkin Pie gourmet. That is going to be some fantastic topping on your fantastic pumpkin pie. You rock!