Learn the secrets to making a delicious classic pumpkin pie. This recipe has a lot of delicious spice and a perfect smooth texture.
I like my pumpkin pie to be good and spicy because that’s how my mom makes it. She says that you can take any pumpkin pie recipe out there and double the spices called for. So you’ve been warned. This classic pumpkin pie recipe has a good hit of spice in it and we think you’re gonna love it.
What Spices Do I Use?
Instead of using Pumpkin Spice, I’ve listed the actual spices to use – cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. That’s because that’s what my mom always did and so it’s how I make pumpkin pie. Also, I find the nutmeg in Pumpkin Spice to be a bit too intense. If you want, you can make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice ahead of time with this easy recipe. Finally, not all the different brands are identical so my pie would change depending on which brand I buy. I like it to taste exactly like this. Like my mom makes it.
Canned Or Fresh Pumpkin?
My mom always used canned pumpkin and so do I. If you want to use fresh, go for it! We have instructions over here for how to make your own pumpkin purée. However, be warned that we think the pies taste better when made with canned. We did a side-by-side taste test and the preference was most definitely for the canned stuff. And the canned stuff is easier so it’s a win-win!Print
- 1 (9-inch) deep dish pie crust, homemade or store-bought
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (15 oz.) can pure pumpkin purée (or 2 cups of homemade thick puree like this)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk in the evaporated milk.
- Prepare your pie shell as for a single crust pie but do not bake. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake until a clean knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean or mostly clean, 30-35 minutes. If the edges of your pie crust are really brown before the pie is ready, wrap aluminum foil around them.
- Cool the pie on a rack. While the pie can be eaten immediately, for best results, after the pie has cooled on the counter refrigerate it for at least 2 hours.
This post originally appeared in November of 2015 and was revised and republished in October 2021.