Asparagus is good on its own but the saying really is true – bacon makes everything better. It’s the perfect way to dress up air fryer asparagus for a weeknight meal or party appetizer.
These bundles of air fryer bacon-wrapped asparagus are always the first thing that gets gobbled up at our family get-togethers!
While you can make them in the oven, using an air fryer to make asparagus is definitely the way to go. Not only is it easier to clean, but they turn out perfectly cooked. The bacon comes out extra crispy, as do the tips of the asparagus. They seriously taste like they were deep-fried, without the mess of oil or trying to keep the bacon from uncurling.
For the perfect bacon to asparagus ratio, I like to use one full slice of bacon wrapped around 3-4 medium asparagus stalks. Wrap the bacon around the asparagus bundles as evenly as you can, trying not to let it overlap too much. For the best results, look for asparagus that’s a little thinner than a pencil. If your asparagus is particularly thin or short, you can use half a slice of bacon to keep it from overlapping.
The Best Way To Trim Asparagus
Prepared properly, asparagus is tender and delicate. The stem ends can be tough and woody though. To easily trim them in the perfect place, hold the asparagus in both hands, with one hand at the end and the other about one-third of the way up the stalk. Gently bend the asparagus until it snaps – it will naturally break at the ideal spot. Once you get the hang of it, it only takes a few seconds to trim a whole pound of asparagus to perfection!Print
- 24 stalks asparagus, trimmed
- 8 slices medium-thick bacon
- Divide the asparagus into 8 bundles with 3 stalks each.
- Wrap one slice of bacon around each bundle, wrapping as evenly as possible so the bacon doesn’t overlap too much.
- Arrange the asparagus bundles in a single layer in the basket of your air fryer, putting the loose end of the bacon facing down to help keep it from unraveling. Work in batches if necessary.
- Fry at 390°F for 10 minutes.
- Use tongs to carefully remove the bacon-wrapped asparagus from the air fryer and place it on a plate lined with a paper towel. As with pan-fried bacon, it will continue to crisp as it cools.