Too hot for the oven or stove? Too hot to go outside and start the grill? Your air fryer is here to save the day with this Air Fryer Chicken Burger recipe.
It’s time to put that air fryer to use! The air fryer cooks food quickly, but it’s also a great appliance to use in the hot summer months, especially to make burgers because this method of cooking locks the moisture into these chicken burgers. You end up with a juicy chicken patty full of great flavor.
Scroll down to read more about how it all comes together or click here to jump straight down to the recipe.
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
We’re using ground chicken for these burger patties, not chicken breasts.
I like to add a bit of olive oil for moisture, some Worcestershire sauce to boost the flavor, as well as some salt and pepper for seasoning. You could add a bit of garlic powder and onion powder too if you’d like but I don’t use bread crumbs for these. You want to mix until just combined, don’t overwork the meat, then form the chicken mixture into four patties.
Grease the air fryer basket and preheat to 360°F. Add your burgers in a single layer, you may need to work in batches depending on the size of your air fryer. Cook for four minutes, then flip them over and cook an additional four minutes at 400°F.
You can also quickly toast the burger buns in the air fryer! I like to brush on a bit of butter and put them in for just a couple minutes. Then it’s time to add your favorite burger toppings like tomato, lettuce, and pickles. My burger sauce recipe is also a great addition and of course, I love french fries on the side!
Tips For Juicy Chicken Burgers
- Don’t over-mix the meat. Working the meat too much will make a tough burger. Simply combine the meat and seasonings and mix with hands until combined.
- Cook burgers two at a time so you don’t crowd the air fryer. This will help create a nice crust on the burger that browns. We don’t want steamed burgers.
- Use an instant read thermometer. This is the best way to determine when your burgers are done. The 8 minute cooking time should be pretty accurate, but all air fryers are different, so it’s best to use a meat thermometer. Cook the ground chicken to an internal temperature of 165°F. If it hasn’t reached it after the 8 minutes, cook for another minute and check again.
More Delicious Burger Recipes
- Beef Stroganoff Burger
- Lamb Burger Recipe
- Mediterranean Eggplant Burger
- Best Black Bean Burger
- Burger Seasoning Blend
Podcast Episode About Making Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
Listen to our editor, Christine Pittman, explain briefly about how to make this recipe, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:Print
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Cooking spray (or an oil sprayer like this)
- 4 hamburger buns, for serving
- Gently mix together chicken, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until just combined.
- Divide into 4 sections and lightly form into burger patties. Make an indent in the center of each burger.
- Grease the air fryer basket with oil and preheat air fryer to 360°F.
- Cook at 360°F for 4 minutes. Flip burger over and cook for 4 more minutes at 400°F, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F on an instant read thermometer.
- Repeat with remaining 2 burgers.
- Serve with buns and desired toppings.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
This post originally appeared in September 2019 and was revised and republished in July 2023.