Make a crustless quiche for dinner. It’s easier to make, has less fat and is keto too!
A crustless quiche is simply a quiche that doesn’t have a pastry shell. This makes it a bit easier to make since you don’t have to make or buy pastry. It also cuts down the fat and calories of the quiche because pastry is pretty rich. Finally, you’re removing the bulk of the carbohydrates from the dish, making this a low-carb, keto quiche. Sounds pretty great, right?
Other than the lack of a pastry crust, the main difference between a regular quiche and a crustless quiche is that the egg filling for a crustless quiche has to be a bit firmer. Without the pastry to keep things contained, the egg needs to be able to stand up on its own.
The other day when I showed you how to make a quiche, I said that the ideal ratio of milk to egg in a quiche is 6 tablespoons of milk for every large egg. When it comes to a crustless quiche, the ratio is, instead, 5 tablespoons of milk per egg, or just about exactly 1/3 cup. For today’s recipe, I’ve used 5 large eggs and 1 and 1/2 cups of milk.
Here’s how you make a crustless quiche:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Get your ingredients ready. Here I’ve used 4 slices of crispy cooked bacon, chopped and 1 and 1/2 cups of uncooked, chopped baby spinach.
Put 1 cup of shredded cheese into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.
Top with the bacon.
Top that with the spinach. Then pour in your egg mixture. Here we’ve got 5 eggs beaten with 1 and 1/2 cups of whole milk, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
I’ve pushed down on the spinach a bit to make sure that it’s wet all over. If it’s not, the dry bits that poke out can end up a bit singed. That’s not a huge deal though. You can always pull out the darkened bits.
Now your quiche is ready for the oven.
Bake until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Make a crustless quiche for dinner. It's easier to make, has less fat and is keto too!
- 5 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs with a fork until there are no longer any streaks of clear egg whites.
- Stir in milk, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Top with bacon and spinach.
- Pour egg mixture over spinach. Pat down spinach to make sure it is wet all over.
- Bake quiche until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.