Air Fryer Egg Rolls
I know Egg Rolls seem a little daunting to make but we’re making them easy for you. Pop them in your air fryer and they’re even easier with less greasy mess. Order up!
Can we agree that the best part of a Chinese dinner is the egg rolls? The combination of the crunchy shell with flavorful, juicy filling? It’s perfection. It’s really super easy to make these at home in your air fryer (just like these Coconut Shrimp were, which you have got to try). Best of all, these air fryer egg rolls taste just like the ones you get at a restaurant – crispy on the outside and full of juicy flavor on the inside.
We kept the filling really simple and classic, with ground pork, shredded cabbage, green onions and oyster sauce. Oyster sauce is an umami sauce that gives the egg rolls a traditional flavor. It’s mandatory for a restaurant-style egg roll, so don’t skip it or swap it with something else.
When you make egg rolls in the air fryer, we have a few tips.
- Don’t over fill them. You don’t want them so big that you can’t roll them tightly. (You’ve seen a massive burrito at Chipotle, right? It never ends well.) When you roll them, roll them as tightly as you can so they are compact. We found that with a standard size wrapper, about 1/3 cup of filling is a good amount.
- Seal the edges with water so it stays shut. This is as simple as dipping your fingers in a dish of water and making sure all the seams are sealed.
- Rub the egg rolls with some vegetable oil. This last step ensures the crispy, golden brown crunch you know and love. You can also spray them with cooking spray (liberally!) but we prefer using oil.
Air Fryer Egg Rolls
I know Egg Rolls seem a little daunting to make but we’re making them easy for you. Pop them in your air fryer and their even easier with less greasy mess. Order up!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to pan and when it shimmers, add ginger and onions. Cook for one minute. Add pork to pan and season with salt. Break up with a spoon and cook until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add coleslaw mix to pan and season with a sprinkle of salt. Cook until cabbage is soft, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in oyster sauce and remove from heat.
- Put a little dish of water on the counter and lay 2-3 egg roll wrappers out on counter or cutting board diagonal so a point is facing you. Place about 1/ 3 cup egg roll mixture in the bottom of the wrapper and roll up, folding sides in to create an envelope. Dip fingers in water and wet the top corner and seal egg roll.
- Set air fryer to 390°F. and preheat for a few minutes. Rub the egg rolls with a bit of vegetable oil (or spray with cooking spray) and cook for 8 minutes, flipping after 4 minutes.
Check out this video on how to roll an egg roll.