Forgot to thaw the chicken? Don’t worry, you can make chicken parm using frozen chicken breasts.
One evening a couple of years ago I arrived home after a crazy day and discovered that I had forgotten to take the planned chicken breasts out of the freezer. I thought I had our dinner plans covered but it turned out that I did not.
So, I got the chicken breasts out of the freezer and tossed them onto a baking sheet and put them into the oven, with my fingers crossed. I really hoped that they would thaw and cook and not take forever.
Cooking Chicken Breasts From Frozen
To my surprise and delight, they were done in about 30 minutes. I used an instant read thermometer to make sure. Here is the method that I posted on my blog after that experience. It shows how to cook chicken breasts from frozen.
From that point on I started experimenting with different recipes that could be made with chicken breasts straight from the freezer. Today’s Frozen Chicken Parmesan is one of those. I know you’re going to love it for how delicious it is, but also for how convenient it is when you find yourself with frozen chicken breasts and no time to thaw them.
How To Make Chicken Parmesan With Frozen Chicken
First, get that oven heated to 425ºF and lightly oil a baking sheet. Since we can’t bread the frozen chicken, we’re going to mix up a seasoned topping instead. You’ll combine a tablespoon of oil along with panko breadcrumbs, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese.
Place your frozen chicken breasts in a single layer on the baking sheet and brush the top of each with some tomato sauce. Then, top each with one quarter of the breadcrumb mixture.
Bake until cooked through to 165°F as read on an instant-read thermometer, around 30-40 minutes.
Remove from the oven and preheat broiler. Top each breast with more tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella. Broil until the cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
More Chicken Parmesan Variations
If you did happen to thaw your chicken in advance, I’ve got other methods for you. Plus, some non-chicken variations for fun!
- Instant Pot Breaded Chicken Parmesan
- Sous Vide Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Zucchini Parmesan
- Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan
- cooking oil
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 medium frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts that were frozen individually and are not attached to each other now
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon cooking oil, Panko, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese.
- Place frozen chicken breasts in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and brush the top of each with 1 teaspoon of tomato sauce. Top each with one quarter of the breadcrumbs.
- Bake until cooked through to 165ºF, as read on an instant-read thermometer, 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and preheat broiler. Top each breast with 1 heaped tablespoon of tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella. Broil until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes.
This post originally appeared in May 2017 and was revised and republished in August 2022.