Avocados can be tricky to get into. Learn how to cut an avocado safely and easily with our video tutorial.
Have you ever seen someone split an avocado in half and then whack the pit with a big knife to extract it from the fruit? It looks really cool. But have you tried it? It’s…ummm…not always so easy. And it’s definitely not safe.
Here’s Our Video For How To Cut An Avocado Safely:
There’s no pit-whacking here because we’re not show offs. We want to get at that avocado and retain all our fingers. That’s the goal and we’ve accomplished it easily.
Here are written instructions for how to cut an avocado for those who prefer to read:
- Rest avocado on counter/cutting board on its side. (Don’t do it with avocado in your hand in case you cut yourself. I know you’ve seen people do this. It is not a good idea. Trust me).
- Make a lengthwise slice into the avocado just until your knife reaches the pit.
- Keep knife in the avocado and carefully spin the avocado around so that the knife is sliding around the pit and making one ring-of-a-cut around the avocado.
- Now the avocado is cut in half but is being held together by the pit. Hold the two halves, one in each hand, and twist a bit while pulling gently to separate them.
- Now, one half has the pit in it. Run a small spoon around the pit and then scoop the pit out.
- Peel the skin off of the avocado using your hands.
- Slice avocado on the bias for slices. To chop/cube, slice and then turn the cutting board 90 degrees and slice in the other direction. If making guacamole, no need to slice or cube. Put avocado halves into a bowl and mash with a fork.