Cheese. Jalapenos. And…Doritos! This Nacho Grilled Cheese is insane and so good.
We all have our guilty pleasures. Things we love that we don’t like to admit we love. You might already know about my ridiculously embarrassing love of melted cheese.
Doritos in a Grilled Cheese?
My other secret craving is Doritos. The zestier the better. I rarely buy them for myself, but when I do, crazy things happen. Like this Nacho Grilled Cheese. It has a Mexican cheese blend and jalapeno rings and it has Doritos, of course. And it’s super super good. It might just become your new guilty pleasure too.
The key with this sandwich is to wait to add the Doritos until the very end after the cheese has melted, otherwise the chips get soggy, which is never good. You want a big big Dorito crunch when you bite in, right?
Making Nacho Grilled Cheese
Here’s what I came up with to keep the chips crispy. You’ll basically be keeping the two halves of the sandwich cooking separately until the end when it’s time to add the Doritos.
Pre-heat your large skillet or cast iron pan over medium-low heat. Spread one side of each slice of bread with mayo (or butter, if you’d like, we compare them here). The bread goes mayo side down on the pan and each slice gets topped with shredded Mexican blend cheese and jalapeno rings.
Cook until cheese is melted and bread is browned underneath. Keep an eye on the temperature, you may need to adjust so that the bread isn’t too toasty before the cheese is melted.
Next, move your cheesy bread to a cutting board. Cover half of the slices with Dorito chips and then cover with the other slice of bread, melty cheese side down. Yum!Print
Nacho Grilled Cheese
Cheese. Jalapenos. And…Doritos! This grilled cheese is insane. And so so good.
Listen to learn how to make this recipe, along with some great tips from Christine:
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Entrée
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 4 thick slices of Italian bread
- 4 tsp. mayonnaise
- 1 cup fancy shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Jalapeno rings to taste
- 8 zesty Doritos
- Preheat a non-stick or a large cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise. Arrange the bread mayo-side-down in the skillet in a single layer. Put about 1/4 cup of cheese onto each slice of bread, spreading it out to cover the surface. Top with as many jalapeno rings as you’d like.
- Cook until cheese is melted and bread is browned underneath, adjusting the temperature as needed to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Remove two slices of bread to a cutting board. Top each with 4 Doritos in a single overlapping layer.
- Top each with another slice of the bread, cheese side down. Push down slightly to break the chips up and then cut each sandwich in half.
This post originally appeared in April 2016 and was revised and republished in February 2021.
Leave a Reply