Learn how to use your broiler to whip up a big batch of grilled cheese sandwiches for a crowd with little fuss. You’re not going to believe how quick and easy this is.
It’s a challenge to make a bunch of grilled cheese sandwiches at once. Only a few will fit in a pan at a time, and who wants to stand there making batch after batch? So what do you do when you need to make grilled cheese for a crowd?
For these sandwiches, we use the broiler to make 6-8 sandwiches in no time. So, get out your biggest baking sheet, preheat your broiler, and let’s get going.
Scroll down to read more about how it all comes together or click here to jump straight down to the recipe.
What’s The Best Method For Multiple Grilled Cheeses?
Broiled grilled cheese is absolutely the best and easiest method when making a bunch of sandwiches. That way, you’re not standing over the stove making one or two at a time to feed everyone and eating last!
Making Grilled Cheese for a Crowd, Step By Step
Set up broiler so that the rack is 7-8 inches from the heat source. Put the bread on a large baking sheet in a single layer.
Spray the bread with butter flavored cooking spray (you can absolutely use softened butter spread onto the bread instead. The spray is just faster).
Put the pan of bread under the broiler until toasted.
See how toasty?
Flip the bread slices over.
Top each slice of bread with shredded cheese.
Return it to under the broiler until the cheese melts. Mmmm… broiled cheese.
Top cheese with additional slices of bread.
Spray with cooking spray.
Put it back under the broiler until toasted.
Cut sandwiches in half.
Podcast About Making Grilled Cheese For A Crowd
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this recipe, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:Print
- 12 slices of bread
- butter-flavored cooking spray (or softened butter)
- 1 and 1/2 cups finely shredded cheese
- Set up broiler so that the rack is 7-8 inches from the heat source.
- Put the bread on a large baking sheet in a single layer. Spray the bread with cooking spray (you can absolutely use softened butter spread onto the bread instead. The spray is just faster). Put the pan of bread under the broiler until toasted.
- Flip the bread slices over. Top each slice of bread with shredded cheese, spreading it around to cover the bread. Return pan to under the broiler until the cheese melts.
- Top cheese with additional slices of bread. Spray tops of bread with cooking spray. Put it back under the broiler until toasted.
- Cut sandwiches in half. Serve!
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
This post originally appeared in May 2016 and was revised and republished in May 2023.