Enjoy this delicious fettuccine alfredo that is as creamy and luscious as the traditional version but with no cream or butter. The secret ingredient that brings the creaminess to the dish is avocado.
Alfredo sauce is an all-time favorite of mine. So rich and creamy. Unfortunately, given all that rich-and-creamy, it’s not a great idea to make it very often. That’s actually too bad because it’s so easy to make. It could be the quickest and simplest of weeknight meals if only it was good for me.
Well, I summoned myself to the rescue and came up with a much healthier version. To make this alfredo sauce you skip both the butter and the cream. How? By adding milk and luscious avocado instead. There’s still Parmesan cheese and garlic in the mix. How could there not be? But the result is much healthier than the original. Thankfully, it’s still quick and easy to make. Quick and easy enough to be dinner tonight. Go on…try it!Print
- 8 oz. dry fettuccine noodles
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Cook fettuccine according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, put the avocado, milk, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic powder, and salt into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer sauce to a small sauce pot. Warm it over medium-low heat stirring frequently. Do not simmer the sauce.
- Drain the pasta. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Toss pasta with sauce. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.