We’ve got another Chinese takeout fakeout for you. Our take on Chinese Garlic Chicken will be ready in less time than order and delivery takes at your favorite restaurant.
Chinese Garlic Chicken is such an easy and flavorful stir fry, and it takes barely any time to make. You’ll wonder why you’ve been ordering takeout all these years because it’s just as quick to make it at home and it tastes better too (just like our easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken).
Here’s A Video Showing How To Make Chinese Garlic Chicken:
Secret To The Garlic Sauce
The garlic sauce looks pretty unassuming when you mix it up. But when it hits the hot pan, you’ll see how it starts to get thick and sticky like a real Chinese chicken sauce. What’s the secret? The cornstarch helps thicken it and gives it that classic consistency. Don’t skip it or the sauce definitely won’t thicken as it’s supposed to.
What Kind Of Chicken To Use?
We opted for chicken breast in this recipe, but chicken thighs would also work well if you prefer them. The sauce cooks quickly, so be sure to cut the chicken into small, one inch pieces that are fairly uniform so it finishes cooking at the same time as the garlic sauce.
Garnish with some sesame seeds and sliced green onion for a little crunch and color and serve this classic over rice.Print
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds (optional, for garnish)
- 1 green onion, sliced (optional, for garnish)
- Whisk together minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, and cornstarch until smooth.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add chicken and garlic mixture to pan and stir fry, stirring frequently, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion, if desired.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
This post originally appeared in March 2019 and was revised and republished in August 2022.