Homemade Shake and Bake Chicken is super quick to make, and this copycat shake and bake breading makes the chicken flavorful and crispy.
Our sister site, COOKtheSTORY, recently published a recipe for Homemade Shake and Bake mix. Once we read what was actually in Shake and Bake, we wondered why anyone even bothered to buy it pre-made from the store in the first place.
Try it with your favorite cut of chicken for all the crunch of fried chicken you love, but with less oil and mess.
What Ingredients Are In Shake ‘n Bake?
Shake and Bake is simply a mixture of breadcrumbs, herbs, and seasonings that most of us always have in the pantry. I use onion powder, dried parsley, dried basil, paprika, garlic powder, and of course, salt. Other mixes include dried oregano, cayenne pepper, and black pepper so feel free to customize to your taste.
It’s really fast to throw it together in a bowl, whisk together, and then add to meat, like chicken or pork chops.
What Cut Should I Use For Shake and Bake Chicken?
You can use this recipe for any cut – chicken thighs, drumsticks, even wings. It even works great for homemade chicken nuggets or tenders. You’ll just need to adjust the cook time accordingly. Make sure to use your instant read thermometer and get the chicken pieces to an internal temperature of 165°F.
Our favorite cut of chicken for Shake and Bake is boneless skinless chicken breasts. It gets really crispy and the breading locks in the moisture. The seasonings in the Shake and Bake mix also pair perfectly with poultry.
Serve with some oven roasted potatoes and a nice salad and dinner is served! Or turn it into a crispy chicken sandwich for a fun lunch.
On the off-chance you have leftovers, refrigerate them in an airtight container for up to 4 days. I would avoid the microwave in reheating them though. Keep them crispy by using the oven or air fryer until heated through.
We guarantee you’ll add this non-boring chicken recipe to your meal rotation on a regular basis. Now let’s get cooking!Print
- 1 batch of Homemade Shake and Bake
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare the homemade shake and bake according to the directions in this post.
- Add the chicken to a plastic bag. Pound the chicken out so it is an even thickness.
- Add the oil to the bag. Coat the chicken with the oil thoroughly.
- Add the shake and bake and shake well, until all the chicken is covered.
- Lay the chicken on a shallow, greased baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the breading is browned and the chicken has reached 165°F internally.
This post originally appeared in April 2019 and was revised and republished in June 2022.