Avocado soup is lusciously creamy and rich with lots of good flavors like lime, garlic, onion, cumin and cilantro. This recipe is based on a Columbian soup called Crema de Aguacate.
When I first heard of Cream of Avocado Soup, I imagined thinned out guacamole served warm. But this soup actually is nowhere near that. Avocado Soup is FULL of rich and delicious flavor and it doesn’t take long to make. It has a creamy texture and great taste with ingredients like mashed avocado, cumin, and lime juice.
Scroll down to read more about how it all comes together or click here to jump straight down to the recipe.
What Is Cream Of Avocado Soup?
This Cream of Avocado Soup recipe is based on a Columbian soup, Crema de Aguacate. In addition to the avocados, the soup has chicken broth, onion, garlic, and half and half. You could make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead. I like it served with some fresh cilantro as well.
How To Make Avocado Soup
To make Avocado Soup, you sauté onions and garlic in olive oil and then add broth, lime juice, mashed avocado, cumin, and salt. You cook that for a bit. Then puree it until smooth. The final touch is to add half and half and heat it all through.
See? There’s so much flavor there. I actually wound up addicted to it and ate most of the pot of soup myself the first time I made it. Every time I walked by it, I had a few spoonfuls until very little was left. You’re going to love this one too. I just know it!
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
Podcast Episode On Making Avocado Soup
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this recipe, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:Print
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, cored and mashed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 pint half and half
- 6 sprigs cilantro (optional)
- Heat the oil in a a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and lime juice. Stir. Add avocadoes, salt and cumin. Stir.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender (depending on the size of your blender, you may have to puree half of the mixture at a time). Puree until smooth.
- Return avocado puree to the pot. Add the half and half. Heat through over medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!
This post originally appeared in July 2017 and was revised and republished in March 2023.