Instant Pot Loaded Potato Casserole
Instant Pot Baked potato casserole is a creamy, cheesy potato dish that has all the flavors of a loaded baked potato. Think sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, and green onions, all mixed together with smooth and creamy potatoes in a casserole dish. It’s soooo good.
You can find the classic version of this casserole over here. But if you want a quicker version (seriously, this is so insanely quick, it’s ready in under 30 minutes!), don’t look any further than today’s Instant Pot Baked Potato Casserole.
One thing to note about this casserole is that the potatoes are not baked. They’re cooked in the Instant Pot. The word “baked” in the recipe title is more about the loaded baked potato ingredients than about any baking involved.
Cooking the potatoes in the Instant Pot instead of in the oven saves so much time. Then you just mix in the rest of the ingredients, right into the Instant Pot.
(If you want to know how to make regular whole baked potatoes in the Instant Pot quickly too, check out our Instant Pot Baked Potatoes over here. I swear that this has changed my baked potato world!).
Once you’ve added the extra ingredients to the potatoes, you can stir it up and then serve it straight from the Instant Pot, if you’d like. It looks like this:
The great thing about this is that you can set the Instant Pot to the Keep Warm setting and everything will stay nice in there for a long time. This is a great option for a buffet dinner or even for a potluck. Just take your Instant Pot full of hot potatoes with you to the party, plug it in, and you’re good to go. You could sprinkle some more cheddar cheese and green onions on top to make it prettier, if you wanted.
If you don’t want to serve it from the Instant Pot, and/or if you want a more classic casserole presentation, transfer the hot potato mixture to a casserole dish and then top it with more cheese (and more bacon, if you’d like). Broil it just until the cheese is melted. Then sprinkle it with green onion and serve.
There you have it, a baked potato casserole that is ready in under 30 minutes, and is just as delicious as the classic. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Loaded Potato Casserole
Baked potato casserole is a creamy, cheesy potato dish that has all the flavors of a loaded baked potato. Think sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, and green onions, all mixed together with smooth and creamy potatoes in a casserole dish. It’s soooo good.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2.5 lbs. baking potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- 3–5 strips cooked bacon, chopped (optional), divided
- 2 spring onions, greens only, chopped
- Cut the potatoes into 1 inch chunks, leaving the peels on if desired. Rinse cut potatoes.
- Put potatoes into Instant Pot with water, butter, salt, and garlic powder. Stir.
- Set to pressure cook on high for 6 minutes, making sure the knob is set to Sealing.
- Once the Instant Pot has come to pressure and pressure-cooked for the 6 minutes, allow it to do a natural release for 2 minutes. Then turn the knob to Venting and allow the remainder of the steam to escape.
- While the potatoes are cooking in the Instant Pot, in a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and half of the bacon (if using).
- Open the Instant Pot. Drain off about half of the water from the pot. Stir in the cream cheese mixture.
- With a potato masher, mash the mixture until it is as smooth as you’d like (a medium- smooth texture with some chunks and bits of peel is our preference).
- Sprinkle with the spring onions and serve directly from the Instant Pot. OR, transfer the potato mixture to a 8×8″ baking dish and sprinkle with more cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup). Broil until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with the remaining bacon and the spring onion and serve.