Shrimp Lettuce Wraps pack a ton of flavor but are light enough for hot summer days. Plus, we’ve got a tip to make prepping the veggies a breeze. Who doesn’t love less prepwork?
Lettuce wraps are one of the best dinners for hot days as all the ingredients are so fresh and light. Adding in shrimp makes it full of protein and so quick to make. If you use a premade sauce and pre-cut veggies that you can grab from a salad bar or the produce department, this dinner can come together in less than 10 minutes which makes it perfect for weeknights.
Since there are so many topping options that you can add to the wraps, serve them like a topping bar and let everyone make it their own. Be sure to check out how to make lettuce wraps for even more ideas on toppings.
The thing that really sets these Shrimp Lettuce Wraps apart is the sweet chili sauce. It’s always a crowd pleaser. The version I make isn’t terribly spicy, but if you’re sensitive to heat or are serving it to children, try adding 1 tablespoon of the sambal oelek first to test the spice level. Of course, if you’re looking for something even more spicy, add more in or try adding in fresh chilies. You can also try adding in honey if you’re trying to make this dish even lighter.
If you’ve never heard of sambal oelek before, it’s a simple Indonesian chili sauce made with crushed chile peppers and generally a little vinegar and salt. You can find it at many ethnic markets or here on Amazon.
You can even skip the sauce and add a squeeze of lime and sriracha instead. There are all sorts of ways to make this dish yours, so let us know your favorite flavor combo so we can give it a try too.Print
For the shrimp:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. shrimp
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper (or to taste)
For Sweet Chili Sauce:
- ½ cup and 2 Tbsp. water, divided
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. sambal oelek
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Shredded carrots
- Shredded red cabbage
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. diced green onions
- 2 Tbsp. roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, sliced into 8 wedges
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in shrimp and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5-6 minutes until no longer pink on both sides. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pot, heat rice vinegar, ½ cup of water and sugar over medium high heat until boiling and sugar is dissolved.
- Lower heat to medium, and stir in sambal oelek until incorporated. Let simmer.
- While sauce is simmering, add remaining 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch to small bowl and mix together.
- Slowly add into the sambal mixture and stir. Simmer until thickened and remove from heat. Let cool and refrigerate until ready for use.
To Assemble Wraps:
- Take a leaf of butter lettuce and layer with shrimp, carrots, red cabbage, avocado, green onions, cilantro, lime juice and sweet chili sauce. Serve immediately.