Tater Tot Pizza is a super fun twist on pizza that used tater tots in place of pizza dough. You’ve gotta try it.
Tater Tot Pizza skips the time-consuming step of making pizza dough or waiting for store-bought dough to rise. It’s a fun lunch or dinner idea everyone is sure to love.
What is Tater Tot Pizza?
It’s made with tater tots used as a crust instead of the dough. Once you make the crust, you can choose a variety of toppings just like you would pick for your dough pizza – including meat, veggie and cheese.
What toppings can you add to tater tot pizza?
You can add any toppings that you like, but these are some examples:
- Margherita Pizza: tomatoes, basil, Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese
- Hawaiian Pizza: pineapple, ham, and cheese
- Mexican Pizza: jalapeño, refried beans, beef, corn, cilantro, and Mexican cheese blend
- BBQ Chicken Pizza: BBQ sauce, cooked chicken, red onion, and cheddar cheese
- Meat-Lover’s Pizza: pepperoni, Italian sausage, ham, bacon, beef, and mozzarella
- Vegetarian Pizza: mushrooms, onion, olives, tomatoes, bell peppers, and mozzarella
What kind of tater tots do you use?
What can you do with the rest of the tater tots?
Odds are, you bought a bag of tater tots that is 24-32 ounces and this recipe only uses 16 ounces. Tater tots can be stored in the freezer for a few months and they can be used for a variety of dishes. If you bought a large bag of tater tots and you still have some, make another pizza with different toppings. You know one’s never enough anyway. Or you can check out more of our tasty Tater Tot recipes.
Tips for How to Make a Tater Tot Pizza Crust
You can use a cast iron skillet, spring form or deep dish to lay tater tots. Start by arranging a circular or oval pattern with tater tots, laying them side by side in a circular pattern to fill the bottom of the pan completely. Bake the tater tots by themselves for a bit then remove from the oven and press tater tots gently with a wooden spoon to form a pizza crust. Make sure you don’t leave large holes between the tots. You want this to form a crust.
How to make the pizza layers
Start by spreading pizza sauce or marinara on the crust, leaving some crust around the edges without the sauce, like you would with a regular pizza. Top it with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, green bell pepper, and pepperoni. Next, top that layer with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Finally, top this with the remaining pepperoni slices and the rest of the cheddar cheese.Print
- 1 lb. tater tots
- ½ cup pizza sauce or marinara
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup sliced green bell peppers
- 2 oz. sliced pepperoni, divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare 10″ spring form, deep dish or cast iron skillet.
- Lay tater tots in the bottom of the pan in circles until the whole bottom of the pan is covered.
- Bake tater tots for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce the temperature to 400°F.
- Gently press tater tots with a large spoon to form a pizza crust. Make sure to press them down together so there are no holes between them.
- Spread pizza sauce across the tater tots, then add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese over top.
- Spread pepper slices and pepperoni across the top (reserve 6 slices of pepperoni).
- Top with mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and 6 pepperoni slices.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Please note this amount is for a 10-inch pan. You may need a little less/more tater tots depending on the size of the pan.