Tater Tot Poutine might not be traditional but it’s so tasty and quick to make. It’s a perfect snack or appetizer when you need some comfort food.
So this poutine recipe is not authentic poutine, but it sure is good!
And it’s convenient too. I can easily have the ingredients to make this anytime.
All you need are some tater tots (or other frozen French fry, or make your own homemade fries – I’m partial to these homemade potato wedges), some gravy (buy it in a jar from the grocery store or use leftover gravy), and some shredded cheese.
Do you need to use cheese curds?
Cheese curds are traditional in real poutine but those are hard to find in most places. I’ve found that shredded mozzarella works just fine. If you want the effect of the cheese curds where the outsides are melted but the insides have a bit of squeak, you can use small cubes of mozzarella instead of shredded.
How do you prep the tater tots?
What you do is to cook the tater tots according to the package directions. At the end of their cooking time, heat the gravy in the microwave until it’s super-hot. Put the tater tots onto a plate. Then top them with mozzarella cheese. Finally, top the cheese with the hot gravy. The heat from the tater tots and the gravy will melt the cheese. Dig in!
- 2 cups frozen tater tots (approximately 16 ounces)
- 1/2 cup jarred beef gravy
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook tater tots according to package directions.
- When tater tots are nearly finished, pour gravy into microwave safe bowl and heat until very hot.
- Arrange tater tots on a plate. Top evenly with cheese. Top with hot gravy. If desired, microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute to further melt the cheese.