Crab Stuffed Mushrooms make a delicious appetizer that everyone will love and is still pretty simple to make.
If you’re looking for a decadent appetizer for your next event, look no further than these Crab Stuffed Mushrooms.
Earthy mushrooms pair perfectly with the creamy seasoned crab mixture in the middle and crunchy panko breadcrumb topping. Be sure to set aside some for yourself because they’ll disappear from the plate as soon as it hits the table.
- What kind of crab meat should you use?
- What do you put in the stuffing?
- How do you fit more stuffing in each mushroom?
- Can you use pre-shredded Parmesan cheese?
- What kind of mushroom should you use?
- Do you need to bake them in the oven?
- Podcast Episode On Making Stuffed Mushrooms
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Recipes
What kind of crab meat should you use?
Lump crab meat is the best option if you’re able to find it because it is much more flavorful than canned. You can usually get it at the seafood counter.
Canned lump crab meat can be used as well, but be sure to squeeze out the excess liquid before using. That will keep the stuffing from getting watered down or too thin.
What do you put in the stuffing?
The stuffing is made up of crab meat that is mixed with cream cheese, mayonnaise, shredded Parmesan cheese, chopped green onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
How do you fit more stuffing in each mushroom?
To really stuff those mushrooms, use a paring knife to remove the stem and to carefully trim away the gills as well as part of the edge of the mushroom.
You can also use a small melon baller or a metal quarter teaspoon if you aren’t as confident in your knife skills or if someone who isn’t confident in their knife skills is helping you.
Can you use pre-shredded Parmesan cheese?
If you’re able to, avoid using pre-shredded Parmesan. It isn’t as fresh and doesn’t melt as well as shredding Parmesan straight from the block.
Grated Parmesan might be a better option to use if you don’t have a wedge of it. While it won’t melt the same way, it will still add flavor and mix into the stuffing better.
What kind of mushroom should you use?
You’ll want to use larger mushrooms if possible so avoid using something like a small button mushroom. Whole white or cremini/baby bella mushrooms are both good options as they’re appetizer-sized but will still fit a good bit of crab stuffing.
Avoid using mushrooms like a portobello unless you’re making it as an entree as each will use a significant amount of the stuffing.
Do you need to bake them in the oven?
If you want to make a big batch at one time, you’ll want to use an oven. But you don’t need to. A good alternative would be to use an air fryer to leave space in the oven for other things or to avoid heating up the house on hot days. You can check out these Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms for tips on how to cook this recipe that way, but the basics are to cook them at 360°F for about 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Podcast Episode On Making Stuffed Mushrooms
Listen to our editor, Christine Pittman, explain briefly about how to make this recipe, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:Print
- 8 oz. lump crab meat
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped green onion, about 3 stalks
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 24 large button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Chopped parsley, to top
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Mix the crab meat with cream cheese, mayonnaise, shredded Parmesan cheese, chopped green onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Use a paring knife to carefully trim away the stem and gills in the mushroom and some of the edge so there is plenty of room for the stuffing in the mushroom. Discard the stems or save for another recipe.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the cream cheese mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together panko breadcrumbs and melted butter. Top each mushroom with mixture.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve warm.
Love this recipe? I’d appreciate it if you could scroll down and add a *5 star rating* to help others know they’ll love it as well!